[Scummvm-devel] Kyrandia engine loading is slow on the DS

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 16:33:20 CEST 2008

Max Horn wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am confused: You are talking about a "rev 33529 from athrxx" fixing
> issues in Kyra -- but over here, that rev is a commit by buddha to
> CINE on August 2:
> <http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm?view=rev&revision=33529>.
> Could somebody tell me which commit you are actually talking about? :)
>

> Cheers,
> Max

Sorry, I must have made a mistake, I meant rev 34083.
http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm?view=rev&revision=34083

Hopefully this can stay, because from my point of view, it makes a huge
difference.

I commited a fix to a crash in Kyra 2 which was due to updateScreen()
not being called while waiting for input (could possibly crash other
ports).  I also #ifdef'd out the code which retries fopen with various
different uppercase/lowercase combinations, because it has no effect on
the DS port and gives a nice speedup.

Unfortunately, I have had bug reports of crashing in Lure of the
Temptress on my latest beta, Inherit the Earth also has palette
corruption during the intro, which then crashes, and if the intro is
skipped it later runs out of memory and crashes there.  I think these
bugs have been introduced in the last couple of weeks because I tested
these games when 0.12.0 was branched, and they worked fine, and I really
doubt if it's anything to do with the DS backend.  So it's certainly
possible these bugs occur in other ports.

Well, I'm going out today so it looks like I'm not going to be able to
release the DS port along with the others.  Feel free to tag the build
tomorrow and I will have to release the DS port when I've finished a
long printf-powered debugging session.  Ideally I'd like to have a few
weeks to release betas and test the games once everything is stable.  I
really wish I didn't have to do all this.

- Neil