[Scummvm-devel] Getting rid of auto dirty rects (Gob, Kyra, Saga

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Dec 4 13:29:04 CET 2008

Hi folks,

I would really like to get rid o the bugged dirty rect code in the SDL
(and GP2x) backend. To get an idea of why this is bugged, read <https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=1538880&group_id=37116&atid=418820
 >.

Grepping for kFeatureAutoComputeDirtyRects shows that only Gob, Kyra
and SAGA seem to be using this anyway:

./engines/gob/gob.cpp:  g_system-
 >setFeatureState(OSystem::kFeatureAutoComputeDirtyRects, true);
./engines/kyra/screen.cpp:      _system-
 >setFeatureState(OSystem::kFeatureAutoComputeDirtyRects, false);
./engines/made/made.cpp:        //_system-
 >setFeatureState(OSystem::kFeatureAutoComputeDirtyRects, true);
./engines/saga/saga.cpp:                _system-
 >setFeatureState(OSystem::kFeatureAutoComputeDirtyRects, true);

So, it would be good if the people behind those engines could tell me
how big of an impact removing this would have on the speed of their
engines. Note that only SDL based ports will be affected (so this
includes WinCE and Symbian, I guess, but not e.g. Palm, NDS, etc.).

Bye,