[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.13.0 plans

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Dec 19 16:26:31 CET 2008

Am 15.12.2008 um 07:24 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> Hi Team,
>
> I would like to drop a short notice that I am going to initiate the
> release cycle this month. The release should be around end of
> February.
>
> We already have enough new code and games, still some work needs to be
> done with GUI, but even without that it looks pretty decent.

Well, there are a few things that should be cleaned up / fixed before
a release, IMO:

* In SCUMM, the F5 and F6 menus have lots of overlap. I really would
like to get rid of the whole F5-Menu in SCUMM (saves some more code
size, too). The only thing missing for that is the "Help" menu. While
I am unsure about how useful that is in reality, we shouldn't just
drop it out of laziness. So, there should be a way to add custom
buttons to the GMM...

* How to trigger the GMM: F6 was always meant only as a temporary
assignment. There is a FIXME in line 395 of backends/events/default/
default-events.cpp about this, too. One option would be to change this
from F6 to F5. BUT I am told some games use F5 (and also F6) for
internal stuff...

At the very very least, this assignment should be moved from
DefaultEventManager into the backends. Then backends and their PORTERS
can decide when to send EVENT_MAINMENU. E.g. when a special button
combo on the game controller is pressed...

For the SDL backend, we could either map F6 or map F5 to this. But
some games, I am told, use F5 / F6 already. (Can somebody please
remind me which that are again?) So maybe we should let engines
(temporarily) override this? Or can somebody think of a good global
hotkey we could use?

> For the curious ones of you, we will not announce DW1/2 support in
> 0.13.0. We are going to settle down the freeware plans first.
> Unfortunately it looks like we have to reinitiate most of the contacts
> as Ender simply ignores our requests to pass all the correspondence.
> Similar thing is with LEC lawyers' mails. Looks like we pretty lost
> those leads. :(

Indeed. I still hope Ender re-appears to briefly "hand over the keys",
but my hopes are not high :-(

Bye,