[Scummvm-devel] Introduction - Maemo port

Frantisek Dufka dufkaf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:31:09 CET 2008

Hi people,

Looks like there is nice habit of introducing oneself so here it is :-)

Since 0.8.1 version I tried to maintain Maemo version of ScummVM here
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#scummvm . I took over already existing code
by Tomas Junnonen http://770.fs-security.com/scummvm/ who started with
0.8.0, did keymapping for SCUMM and BASS but got busy later. Before
0.11.0 release I got invited to become part or the team so here I am :-)

I'm quite busy with real life (wife & kids) and hacking Maemo platform
on slightly lower level so my time for ScummVM is a bit limited. But
still, I grew with C64 and Amiga and point and click games (mainly
Monkey Island 1 and 2, still remember swapping floppies when playing it)
so ScummVM is quite important to me.

Luckily Maemo port is not much work since it is ordinary arm linux with
SDL over X11. Also Maemo devices are relatively powerful
(250-400Mhz,64-128MB RAM, high resolution display) so no tweaking is
needed except touchscreen instead of mouse and missing keyboard. See
also http://maemo.org/community/wiki/scummvm/

Currently Maemo port status is that it piggybacks on SDL backend and
everything is one big ugly patch
http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/scummvm/trunk/backends/platform/maemo/

As time permits I'd like to move Maemo to its own backend derived from
SDL (already started by Sev). Next work is on integrating key mapper and
virtual keyboard (so I get rid of ugly engine specific keymapping
patches) once there is generic way to do it in ScummVM. Then there
should be also better power management i.e. proper pausing of ScummVM
when application is minimized or not in foreground. There is no device
suspend on Maemo by design so applications are supposed to stop all
activity when not in foreground to allow tablets to last days or weeks
in idle state (just like phones). Once this work is done Maemo port is
finished and I can retire ;-)

Frantisek