[Scummvm-devel] Introducing myself

John Doe john_doe at techie.com
Sat Feb 23 22:19:18 CET 2008

Hi everyone,

I've just been made a member of the ScummVM team and want to tell a little about myself, so you know who this "john_doe" guy is :)

First, the boring prersonal stuff: My name is Benjamin, I'm 26 years old and live in Stuttgart, Germany.
I've been a long time adventure-player as well as a long time programmer since I was 10 or so.
After I wanted to know how all these games actually worked I started programming, shortly after this I began reverse-engineering the file formats of various games by "looking" at the files and by guessing.
About 8 years ago I then started to actually work with disassembled files, slowly figuring out how stuff looked in disassembly.
Professionally I'm also a developer at a company, mainly working on our company's bussiness software, which includes work on databases, various tools, data encryption etc.

I've been following the progress of ScummVM since the early days of the project. Once support for Floyd was announced, and the need for a DXA encoder surfaced, I saw my opportunity to contribute and wrote the encode_dxa tool, and later created the more advanced compression types now used in the DXA files.

I'm planning to add support for several games, which are at various stages of progress.
Among those is Shadow of the Comet, imo one of the best "serious" adventures, which is pretty far in development.

- Benjamin

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?