[Scummvm-devel] About announcing backend changes & build machine

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jan 4 22:17:35 CET 2008

OK, seems the idea of a build server is met mostly with positive
reactions.

Now to make it happen. First thing, we need a machine. Either one
owned by one of us and hosted there. Or we rent a server, resp.,
maybe a VPS (virtual private server) would be enough. Some things to
consider are:
* security maintanance: it would be an interesting target for
hackers, esp. if we released its builds to the public -- hence
security is important, and maybe we should not offer daily builds
from this at all..
* availability of the machine: it must exist ;)
* accessibility: we need to be able to access it via SSH, ideally
with personalized accounts
* resources: speed, memory, HD storage
* net connection
* price

Possible options:
- *Maybe* Claudo can again host a build server, but it's not at all
clear whether and when that happens.
- somebody else hosting. Must be somebody we know and trust
- rent a VPS. E.g. HostEurope (hoster of our forums & wiki) offers
systems beteen 10 and 50 Euros/month. See <http://www.hosteurope.de/
produkte/VPS-Linux> (and use <http://dict.leo.org> or babelfish if
you don't speak german *g*)
- rent a "full" server. Again at HE this starts at 150 Euro/Month
(see <http://www.hosteurope.de/produkte/Server-XL-XXL>), but of
course there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. Suggestions are
welcome, but again, we must be able to trust the company (in terms of
availability, how they treat our data etc.)
- other suggestions?

How to finance this:
We still have money in the account Ender maintains from the last fund
raiser, though I don't know how much. We could run another fund
raiser, of course. We also have some money from GSoC 2007 (~2500
Euro, minus what we need to finance various software subscription
fees and the costs for the HostEurope accounts, which leaves us with
1000-1500 or o). Assuming we get a similar amount from GSoC 2008,
this would easily suffice to sustain our needs.