[Scummvm-devel] About announcing backend changes & build machine

Pawel Kolodziejski aquadran at xtr.net.pl
Mon Jan 7 16:17:58 CET 2008

> Hello All,
>
> Max Horn wrote:
>> Indeed, we are guaranteed 512 MB, and temporarily can get up to 1024 to
>> "handle load peaks". I was not sure whether that is enough; Eugene and
>> me
>> thought it should be OK in general.
>
> One of my concerns is the available processing power, including both CPU
> and RAM resources. We all know that building scummvm is an exercise for
> both these things, considering that the machine will build an array of
> ports besides the basic win32/linux/mac executables (Note: on my old
> athlon xp 1800+ + 1GB ram it took 45mins for a full wince release build,
> on the new Quad Intel 3.33 2 GB, 3.5 mins real with all the cores
> running in parallel). Granted that we can schedule less important ports
> to build less frequently.

hmm, i just checked, myself on my home vserver with 1.8ghz amd cpu with
one core and 1gb ram it build arm linux from svn about 6 minutes with all
engines enabled minus scalers. So i wonder why it takes 3.5 min on four
cores. it seems compilation scummvm doesn't scale very vell. i'll test it
also later on diffrent vserver with four cpu cores.

regarding ram, i think it should be enough, we will not compile all daily
builds at once, but serialy, and will propably at time when we most of us
sleep at that moment. so on demand compilation should not be a problem in
general. i'll check later how much compiler takes memory.