[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.12.0: Release status -- 2008-07-13

Kari Salminen kari.salminen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:20:44 CEST 2008

  Hiya everyone,

[Talk about the BSS size]
> also cruise (380k), cine (100k) and others are using lots of data.
> Sometimes it's data tables we can't do anything about, but often
> it's an artifact of not fully OOified engines, which use global vars
> instead of class members (=allocated on heap).
>
> Some details:
> Cruise:
> in background.cpp:
>   char hwPage[64000]; (~64k}
> in gfxModule.cpp:
>   uint8 page00[320 * 200]; (~64k}
>   uint8 page10[320 * 200]; (~64k}
>   char screen[320 * 200];  (~64k}
>
> Cine:
> in texte.cpp
>   byte textTable[256][2][16 * 8]; (~64k}
>
> All of these should be turned into class members, which will
> automatically solve the issue. Buddha is working on OOifying those
> engines, I think.
>
> Cheers,
> Max

  Haven't given much thought to OOifying Cine yet, been working on
the reverse engineering of Operation Stealth and its implementing.
So OOifying Cine isn't at the top of my TODO list, so to speak
(Although, I know, it would probably benefit from some OOifying.
At least it would look a lot better :-)).
  I haven't touched Cruise at all, so no idea about it.

But if it's deemed important enough that those big global variable
arrays in Cine should be allocated from the heap, I can work on it,
just let me know. Otherwise I'll continue work on the savegames
in Cine (Just trying to load some Future Wars save from the
command line and it's failing... oh well, let's see... /me wanders off).

Kari Salminen / Buddha^