[Scummvm-devel] ENGINE AUTHORS: Making your engine great, or: How to implement advanced Engine features

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Nov 4 20:38:25 CET 2008

Hello everybody, especially: Hi, Engine Authors!

Recently (and in some cases, not so recently), we added several nice
improvements to all engines. Some of them come for free, but some
require some extra tweaking by engine authors. A big chunk of this
work was done by Chris Page during his GSoC 2008 project, but several
other people contributed.

Ideally, all engine support this extra cool features... And to help
you do that, I started writing a page on the Wiki which describes all
these features, and gives some hints on how to implement them. Check
out <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Advanced_Engine_Features>, and
ideally, read all of it, then implement all of it :-).

The page is still work in progress. Help and feedback are highly
welcome!

Note to self and other GSoC mentors: Next year, we should require all
our students (telling them before the project begins) to document
everything they do, and how other can take advantage of it, in our
Wiki. This should be a requirement for passing, too (note to Chris,
and our other GSoC 2008 students: Please don't take this as criticism
-- we didn't require all of you to do this, which was our mistake, not
yours).