[Scummvm-devel] Global menu save/load dialogs

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 11 03:29:40 CET 2008

Filippos K wrote:
> That's why there is a function which tells the GMM when the save/load
> dialogs can be opened (canLoadGameStateCurrently /
> canSaveGameStateCurrently).
> So these cases can be avoided

Unfortunately in the case of SCUMM engine we simply don't know, when
games. The VAR_MAINMENU_KEY variable, could be used for restricting

> So the question is... what would be better? Keep the games as they are, and
> show the General Main Menu dialogs by default when requested, or show the
> enhanced dialogs by default? Obviously, I'm up for showing the enhanced
> ones by
> default, but purists might disagree...
>
>  > The default load/save dialogs aren't that more limited, other than
>  > limited slots in CINE (any others?). A date and screenshot isn't a large
>  > advantage, and could easily be keep optional.
>
> drascula has limited slots too, plus its save/load dialog is very buggy
> by design
> cruise is limited as well
> lure's save/load dialogs are... well, a bit strange

Is Lure of the Temptress limited to a single saved game? wouldn't always
requesting a name, when loading or saving a saved game, allow many more
slots (999)? similar to Elvira 1 in the AGOS engine.

Another issue, is the strings used for load/save/option dialogs in
non-English versions of each game. The original interface of games,
usually offers the strings of load/save/options dialogs in the current
language of the game. But our custom GUI, always uses the English
language for strings of load/save/options dialogs.