[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM binary size comparison

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Wed Nov 12 21:13:01 CET 2008

Max Horn wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Here are some mores idea how to save code size:

Another thing that could probably be trimmed is
engines/scumm/charset-fontdata.cpp. As far as I can tell, most
characters are identical in all charsets except, of course, Russian. The
difference would only be a few KB at most (each font is 1 KB), but I
suppose every little bit helps...

I've put together some images to help compare them:

http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/english.png
http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/french.png
http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/german0.png
http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/german2.png
http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/italian.png
http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/spanish.png

Mind you, I may have messed up in creating these images, so here is the
quickly hacked together program I used to dump the fonts to X PixMaps:

http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/makefont.cpp

Torbjörn