[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM binary size comparison

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Nov 13 12:26:53 CET 2008

Am 12.11.2008 um 13:48 schrieb Neil Millstone:

> Max Horn wrote:
[...]

>> == Disable useless debug() and printf() calls ==

[...]
>> I haven't measured how much this saves
>> in total, but for a sample file (common/advancedetector.cpp), it was
>> 1063 raw bytes of code. Not much. But if we also cover printf and
>> warning...
>>
> That sounds like quite a lot.  1063 bytes per file would make a whole
> lot of bytes over the whole binary.  Sounds like something worth
> trying.

Well, common/advancedetector.cpp is not necessarily representative for
all files; overall, the effect was lower than I hoped for. Still, a
few kb on my intel mac.

Anyway, try adding a

  #define DISABLE_TEXT_CONSOLE

and recompile. And maybe post an updated list of the biggest *.o files
you get with current SVN. And maybe with the theme.inc trick applied I
described -- i.e. from the trunk dir, run:
   rm gui/themes/scummclassic/classic_layout.stx gui/themes/
scummmodern/scummmodern_layout.stx
   cd gui/themes
   python scummtheme.py default scummclassic
Optionally, you can finally run
   python scummtheme.py makeall
to recreate the .ZIP files, but I think you don't need them

I would perform a test compile myself, but I currently can't compile
the DS port, it complains about these file missing: icons_raw.h and
keyboard_raw.h.

Bye,