[Scummvm-devel] Memory consumption in GUI branch

Robin Watts scummvm at wss.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 12:39:13 CET 2008

In message <91A8741B-9A08-4EFA-A795-0792C092579C at quendi.de>
          Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> Am 26.10.2008 um 05:08 schrieb Neil Millstone:
> > Robin Watts wrote:
> >> I've just rebuilt DS scummvm here, and the standard ARM build (a
> >> cleanish trunk) comes out to 1627712 bytes. If I enable thumb
> >> mode during the build (and tweak various ARM routines to cope
> >> with being called in thumb mode - will commit those fixes in a
> >> bit), the code size drops to 1349696 bytes.
> Wow, that sounds very good.

The NDS build I did ran Monkey Island 1 perfectly (for about 10
minutes of playtime), but clearly that's not an exhaustive test.

> >> There will be a speed penalty of course, but hopefully we can
> >> tweak the compile so that speed critical bits stay in ARM ?
> The ARM build system already overrides our default .cpp compiler
> rule, just to be able to apply optimization settings only
> selectively. It should be quite easy to adapt that; if necessary,
> we can decide for each file whether to use -O / -O2 / -O3, whether
> to activate thumb mode, and more.

I was thinking that we might want to keep the core in ARM mode (for
speed), and the engines themselves in thumb mode?

Or (maybe better) put everything into thumb mode, except for
particular files that a) cause crashing, or b) are speed critical
(though I suspect I've ARM coded the biggest speed critical bits).

I'd do some more tests, but I'm fairly busy with RealWorld stuff, and
the compiler's messing me about - see followup mail.

Robin
--
Robin Watts,             Email: <mailto:Robin.Watts at wss.co.uk>
Warm Silence Software,   WWW:   <http://www.wss.co.uk/>