[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.12.0: Missing builds

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Sep 2 18:52:53 CEST 2008

Am 31.08.2008 um 23:49 schrieb Neil Millstone:

> Hi sev,
>
> As I mentioned in my last message to scummvm-devel, the DS port is not
> ready for release yet.  There were several issues found during testing
> that I am looking into.  I am nearly ready to release another beta to
> the forums, after which I will be ready to release once the beta has
> been tested for a week or so and no major issues found.

All in all it seems we'll just have to make a 0.12.1 release soon,
with the DS, PS2, PalmOS, and possibly more missing ports in it... At
least I would guess that PS2 and PalmOS may need extra love before
they work, considering the lack of recent commits by their maintainers?

Also, I think we really need to discuss what went wrong with this
release. This time, we took great care to allow for porters to update
their ports, test, and everything. We started on July 3, and on July
11, Eugene made this timeline public:

  July 14th: Feature freeze
  July 21th: Branch, trunk is unfrozen
  July 21th: Start of playtesting
  August 18th: All ports should be frozen, prerelease binaries built
  August 25th: Binaries uploaded to sf.net
  August 31th: Release

I.e. that meant 6 weeks for port updates and testing, plus one extra
week for last minute stuff. Yet it still ended in a total disaster for
quite a big number of bigger and smaller ports. Now, I have various
theories about this, but I'd really love to hear from the affected
people as to what you guys think why it failed, and whether you have
ideas to do better.

Bye,