[Scummvm-devel] Merging the vkeybdy and GUI branches

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Sep 18 13:35:15 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

so, the RTL branch was merged successfully some time ago. There's
still plenty of polishing required, I think: E.g. we plan to make it
possible for engines to hook into the GMM (global main menu), so that
they can add Load/Save/Help buttons (not sure whether we should
restrict it to that fixed list, or allow arbitrary ones). That way, we
will be able to fully merge the SCUMM main menu dialog and the GMM.
Also, Filippos expressed some interested, he wants to use this for
Drascula. Anybody who is interested in working with the two on this,
speak up; also, feel free to ask me, I have some ideas about how to
tackle this.

And while I am at it, there's a huge FIXME in engines/dialogs.cpp that
needs to be resolved... ;)

But the main purpose of this mail is to get the merge of the vkeybd &
GUI branches going. We had roughly agreed to first merge vkeybdy then
GUI, due to interdepencenies between the two branches. However, this
may be changed if it turns out that GUI is  much closer to branching
than vkeybd.

Now, I'd really like to hear from Stephen & Joost, respectively from
Vicent & Johannes, what the status of the respective branches are.
What are in your eyes the major blockers for a merge? Please tell us.
That way, the rest of the team can help actively.

In particular, for the GUI branch:
* which functionality is missing?* what is known to be slow?
* how is memory usage compared to the current GUI (looking e.g. at
top, or better tools)? Did anybody valgrind it yet?
* everybody out there with "low-end" devices, such as phones, PDAs,
consoles, is *highly welcome to try out the GUI branch and tell us
about it
* did you perform a merge with trunk after the RTL branch was merged?
If not, please do one soon; besides RTL, we have major changes in
trunk, but hopefully, they won't be a problem for this branch
* ...

For the vkeybdy branch:
* which functionality is missing?
* do we have a proper *free* graphics pack yet?
* did anybody perform testing on a device which might actually benefit
from it?
* as with the GUI branch: did you recently perform a merge? If not,
can you do one, please?
* ...