[Scummvm-devel] Merging the vkeybdy and GUI branches

Stephen Kennedy djkennyd at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 25 21:15:38 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in my action, my holiday turned out being a bit
longer than I originally planned :-)

> Now, I'd really like to hear from Stephen & Joost, respectively from Vicent
> & Johannes, what the status of the respective branches are. What are in your
> eyes the major blockers for a merge? Please tell us. That way, the rest of
> the team can help actively.

To re-iterate what Joost said the main issue at the moment is the
circular dependencies between 'backends' and 'common', and, 'backends'
and 'graphics', requiring a hack in Makefile.common. As far as I
remember, a way to resolve this would be to move the vkeybd stuff to a
separate module. If this is the approach to take, I will need some
guidance to set this up.

> For the vkeybdy branch:
> * which functionality is missing?

The core functionality is all complete. I will implement the
compilation flags to enable/disable the vkeybd and keymapper over the
next day or so. As far as documentation goes, is it best to put this
on the wiki? If so I guess I need a wiki account.

> * do we have a proper *free* graphics pack yet?

There is a free graphics pack but it is not very good quality. I was
going to start creating one myself after I have got the more important
work done. In terms of style, would it be a good idea to match the
green & black style of ScummVM's default GUI theme?

> * did anybody perform testing on a device which might actually benefit from
> it?

This is probably the main issue with the branch at the moment. I do
own a iPod touch and am in the process of setting up the toolchain to
compile and test my branch on this. I realize that the iPhone port
provides its own vkeybd, but at least this will test the performance
on such a device.

As far as other devices it would be great for the ScummVM porters to
get involved and try out my branch.

> * as with the GUI branch: did you recently perform a merge? If not, can you
> do one, please?

I performed a merge earlier and resolved the conflicts. But, when
trying to compile I received the following error:

engines/kyra/detection.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool
KyraMetaEngine::createInstance(OSystem*, Engine**, const
Common::ADGameDescription*) const':
engines/kyra/detection.cpp:1116: error: cannot allocate an object of
abstract type 'Kyra::LoLEngine'
./engines/kyra/lol.h:40: note: because the following virtual functions
are pure within 'Kyra::LoLEngine':
./engines/kyra/kyra_v1.h:302: note: virtual void
Kyra::KyraEngine_v1::saveGame(const char*, const char*, const
Graphics::Surface*)

On further investigation it seemed that r34535 "Added autosave support
in Kyra" was not merged into my branch by svnmerge, even though my
svnmerge-integrated property is:

/scummvm/branches/gsoc2008-gui:1-31703
/scummvm/branches/gsoc2008-rtl:1-32741
/scummvm/branches/gsoc2008-tfmx:1-31765 /scummvm/trunk:1-34649

I have no idea what is going on here!

So to summarise, I guess the branch is not in the best state to be
merged at the moment, but I will try the get these issues sorted ASAP.
If you would prefer to go ahead and merge the GUI branch first then I
would not object to that - your call!

Cheers,
Stephen