[Scummvm-devel] PS2 : forced RTL

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Thu Apr 2 00:05:20 CEST 2009

Hi there!

It's about small devices and RTL this time.

> > a) do we have a general method to simply tell to the games to
> > always RTL on Quit?

> a) Not currently. I don't know how useful that would be for desktop
> ports anyway.

> b) Yeah only PS2 would take advantage of it so far.

I agree with that 'coz on a fast desktop restarting ScummVM it's a sub
second experience, on PS2 you can brew some coffee in the meantime ;-)

@ other console and embedded porters: what's your position on RTL?

> > c) We will still need to reset quit to false, otherwise the game
> > will immediately leave the next time that you try to run it. I
> > see the risks>> >> of the resetQuit method. Please suggest a
> > better way to set quit back to false.

> c) None yet, I thought it might be better to handle that internally
> in EventManager, when wanting forced RTL.

Agreed, it's a cleaner solution in EventManager. My point was:
there is a demand for this feature from PS2 users (not sure about
other consoles and embedded ports but I'd assume it might be useful
for them as well) and unlikley enough time for a cleaner solution
by 0.13.1. So how do we handle it from here?

We can discard it cause even if it does its job right, it's essentially
a hack, or we could satisfy our user base demand someway. If you don't
like the idea to have it committed to 0.13.x branch we should at least
consider to release the PS2 binary based on the patched source.

> sorry I didn't monitor this item, thus I didn't saw the changes
> anytime sooner

Don't worry, I was pretty busy myself lately and I just moved the
thread to dev-list.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
 -max