[Scummvm-devel] Self introduction letter

J Northup upthorn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 06:16:30 CEST 2009

Hello, ScummVM dev team,

I am Jody Northup, a Google Summer of Code 2009 student of 24 years.

I'm excited to be working on getting 16-bit game graphic support added
into ScummVM, so that the later Humongous Entertainment SCUMM games
can display properly. If I can get SCUMM games working quickly enough,
I'll attempt to add support for the non-paletted graphics modes of the
Groovie and Gob engines.

I first started programming with C++ at a summer camp when I was
around 14, then took a semester of Pascal in my first year of high
school, before switching back to C++ for the remainder of my high
school "career". Since graduation I have taken on various hobby coding
projects, culminating in, my role as the maintainer of the rerecording
branch of the Gens Sega Genesis/CD/32X emulator beginning in summer of
2005, which has forced me to learn assembly language for both the
Intel x86 and Motorola 68k, and is threatening to force me to learn
Z80 and SH2 assembly languages as well.

I also have some reverse engineering experience as a result of some
cavorting about with the Sonic ROM hacking community, and more
recently assisting an independent game translation group. It is my
hope that these skills will be of some assistance during some of the
messier parts of coding.

I've been hanging around the IRC channel for a few weeks already, but
it's no problem for me to join the forums if people would rather get
ahold of me there.

Pleased to make your acquaintaince.

Jody "Upthorn" Northup