[Scummvm-devel] Platform documentation on ScummVM wiki

Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail) thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 11:45:59 CEST 2009

Le 2 août 09 à 10:24, Johannes Schickel a écrit :

>> Currently this is done the other way around (linking from the
>> manual to the
>> platform pages). I'd like to have all the information in the
>> manual without
>> requiring additional clicks to get it. Moving the information
>> there and
>> simply linking to it from the platform pages as you suggest is one
>> way to do
>> it, but I think it would actually be better to also keep the
>> information on
>> the platform page. This is because the information in the manual
>> would be
>> scattered around and I think some users will want to have
>> everything on one
>> page for quick references.
>
> Aren't there subsections in the manual for the platforms? Or what do
> you mean by "the information in the manual would be scattered around"?
> Wouldn't it be better to just have all the platform specific
> information at once place in the manual and link to it?

There are subsections for the platforms on each page where it makes
sense: the "Installing ScummVM", "Installing a game for use with
ScummVM" and "Adding and Running a game in ScummVM" pages. It's not
that difficult to find, you just have to click on the platform name
in the TOC at the top of the pages. But still the information is
split on three different pages.

The user manual is mainly organized in a "how to" structure. We could
group the information by platform, but since this is what the
platform pages do anyway I preferred to keep the coherency of the
manual structure so that it is easier to look for information in it.
And that way the users can look for information from both angles (in
the manual and in the platform page).

> I personally would still use a link to the manual from the platform
> pages. Anyway that's just my opinion, so if you dislike it and don't
> want to wait any longer for other people to comment I would say, just
> implement your approach now. It should be easy to change it later on
> anyway.

I'm not in a hurry because there is so much else to do on the manual
anyway (-: