[Scummvm-devel] Description of ScummVM in README

Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail) thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 12:07:21 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I was looking at the various places where we have a description of
ScummVM and found that the README file and the wiki manual have
exactly the same text  (or rather had since I just changed it in the
User Manual). I made some modifications on the wiki and wanted to let
you know in case you want to update the README as well or you have
comments to improve it further. The link to the wiki is:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual/Introduction

But the primary reason for this mail is that I noticed this bit:
"At this time ScummVM should be considered beta software, and is still
under heavy development. Be aware that whilst we attempt to make sure
that many games can be completed with few major bugs, crashes can
happen."

And here come my first question: with the coming release of 1.0.0
should ScummVM still be considered as beta software?

There is a second question concerning the last paragraph:
"If you enjoy ScummVM feel free to donate using the PayPal button on the
ScummVM homepage. This will help us buy utilities needed to develop
ScummVM easier and quicker. If you cannot donate, help and contribute a
patch!"

I remember a mail from Max (I think) about ScummVM not accepting
donations. And there is no PayPal button on the homepage as far as I
can see. There is a sourceforge "Support this project" button which
leads to a page with the text "Sorry, ScummVM does not accept
donations."
Which makes me wonder:
is this button really necessary on the homepage?
shouldn't this paragraph in the ReadMe (and wiki) be updated?

Thierry