[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM and iPhSoft

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Aug 4 13:46:13 CEST 2009

Am 02.08.2009 um 23:29 schrieb Liron Barzilay:

> Dear Max and Eugene,
>

> We have launched a new site that we hope you will find honoring
> ScummVM games and project:
>
> http://iPhSoft.com
>
> We also updated the sources (With much help from Eugene), Is there
> anything else we can do for you on our site ?
>

> We also interesting in transfer some of the income (more that 10%)
> to ScummVM Project, can you send us a PayPal invoice (with the sum I
> will send you) ?  it is an option available inside PayPal account.

Hi Liro, hi Yinon,

Before talking about any money transfers or whatever, I'd like to
discuss the content of your website first. First off, I am glad that
at least this time you are providing what seems to be the full source
code from the start. Good. I haven't checked it yet, but unless
somebody tells me differently, I'll trust you that it is really
complete.

However, we at ScummVM are rather unhappy about how you present (or
rather, hide) any information / hints about the fact that you base
your apps on ScummVM in an essential way. It took me a long time of
digging to finally discover a page on which ScummVM is mentioned.
Apparently there are only two of them, and both are only to be found
after extensive digging.
  * http://iphsoft.com/fotaq_versions.html
  * http://iphsoft.com/fotaq_links.html

In fact, we are deeply troubled by this lack of attribution, and we
have explained this to you several times before (not for this specific
new website, but in general). Regardless of the legal side of things,
we are not really inspired to cooperate with you in any way, as long
as you keep conveying to us that you are only interested in using our
work to earn money, but are not willing to give us public, well-
visible credit for our work.

I am kind of surprise that it seems so difficult to get across that we
would like to received recognition for our hard work; we are in fact
(as we explained to you before, too) more interested in that than in
money. I am especially surprised considering what you write on your
About page (emphasis mine): "We at iPhSoft are *proud* of *our*
technology and intellectual property, but we strongly believe that our
employees are the key factor that drives the company."

Seems to me that based on the above, it should be natural for you to
understand that we are also proud about *our* technology, too.
Yet somehow that sentence fails to mention the work of your non-
employees (i.e., us) which also is kinda important for the drive of
your company, isn't it?. And so we are disappointed that while you
praise "your" technology, you don't really seem to put any effort into
pointing out that a lot of it is really *ours*...

So, we'd appreciate to hear from you on how you plan to improve this
situation.

Bye,
Max
ScummVM project co-lead

P.S.: You might wish to hire a professional English->German
translator, or at least a native German speaker with good grammar
skills, to revise the german page of your FOTAQ offering in the
AppStore. The current one is riddled with spelling and grammar
mistakes, or outright garbled sentences. It's also a bit weird that
the "news" for it are partially in Dutch, not German