[Scummvm-devel] Streaming sounds in Scumm games

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Wed Aug 5 20:55:12 CEST 2009

Hi again,

I did take a short look into the VOC code. It seams the transition
should be pretty straight forwarded. One could adapt the "makeVOCStream"
factory to match the ones for MP3, OGG/Vorbis and FLAC along with it
too. (That's an old TODO from our TODO page), this would then ease to
make it clear, that the code will take over the "stream" object.

However there seems to be some little problem, which might require some
more tinkering. The SAGA engine does use the "loadVOCFromStream" method,
which does load the whole VOC file into memory and just returns a
pointer to the sample data. I'm not familiar with the SAGA code, so one
of its developers might want to comment on why it does that and whether
it could be easily changed. After all it supports MP3 etc. compression
of the audio files too, so I would guess it shouldn't be too hard to
adapt the VOC playback to allow proper streaming of VOC files too.

// Johannes