[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM and iPhSoft

Filippos Karapetis philipk79 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:15:22 CEST 2009

> From: max at quendi.de
> To: scummvm-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:16:03 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Scummvm-devel] ScummVM and iPhSoft
>
> So folks,
>
> what does everybody think about the iPhSoft releast of FOTAQ -- and
> today, Simon 1 (and soon Simon 2 and ITE, for both <http://iphsoft.com/
>  > already contains pages ?
>
> Did anybody look at their patches / source tar balls?

I've had a quick glance in their source code patch for FOTAQ. The changes
I've seen are:
- They've put printf()'s at some points, probably to help them debug stuff
(these have been left in)
- The fade speed has been decreased
- They've done a small UI change in FOTAQ which changes the way
right-click works. Also I've seen a weird hack which stops the user from
exiting the game at certain spots

In the iPhone backend, I've noticed that they use CoreSurface directly
(isn't that a big no-no according to Apple's EULA?). Also, they've added
some code for screen orientation changes, and they've also added a
custom dialog which allows the user to select subtitle language.

To be honest, I can't personally justify the money that they request
for changes like these. But people seem to be paying, so...

> Should we take their offer? I.e., this one:
> "We also interesting in transfer some of the income (more that 10%) to
> ScummVM Project, can you send us a PayPal invoice (with the sum I will
> send you) ?"

Why  not? :) Extra money would be good to have, which could be used
to cover server/hosting costs and IDA licenses.

> (Of course this would require us to have an account, see my other post
> with the subject "Re: Description of ScummVM in README")

Indeed :(

Concerning Simon the Sorcerer: did they get permission to gain money
from it from AdventureSoft?

Regards
Filippos