[Scummvm-devel] [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm:[43161] scummvm/branches/gsoc2009-draci/engines/draci

Denis Kasak denis.kasak at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 22:25:15 CEST 2009

Hi Robert,

> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM, <dkasak13 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>
>> Modified: scummvm/branches/gsoc2009-draci/engines/draci/script.cpp
>> --- scummvm/branches/gsoc2009-draci/engines/draci/script.cpp    2009-08-09
>> 04:09:24 UTC (rev 43160)
>> +++ scummvm/branches/gsoc2009-draci/engines/draci/script.cpp    2009-08-09
>> 04:12:36 UTC (rev 43161)
>> +int Script::funcActIco(int iconID) {
>> +
>> +       // The parameter seems to be an omission in the original player
>> since it's not
>> +       // used in the implementation of the function. It's possible that
>> the functions were
>> +       // implemented in such a way that they had to have a single
>> parameter so this is only
>> +       // passed as a dummy.
>
> yes, this is the case.  if you want, you can reformulate the comment
> removing the doubt.

Okay, thanks. :)

>> +       // HACK: Some strings in the English data files are too long to
>> fit the screen
>> +       // This is a temporary resolution.
>> +       if (speechFrame->getWidth() >= kScreenWidth) {
>> +               speechFrame->setFont(_vm->_smallFont);
>> +       } else {
>> +               speechFrame->setFont(_vm->_bigFont);
>> +       }
>> +
>
> scaling the font is a very good solution.  the real solution would be, of
> course, to test the source game texts one by one, and reformat the long
> ones, but that would require recompiling the game, and also the player would
> not be able to handle well the already existing English version on the www.
> I think you may be a bit more careful, because you test the width exactly
> once, before changing the size.  the outcome is thus dependent on what the
> font size was before the code was executed.  for example, if the font was
> already set to small last time, and the currently drawn text is also too
> long, your test (using the smaller font size) may succeed that the width is
> small enough, you thus switch to the larger font, and then crop the text.

Okay, I'll fix this.

> I know this is labeled as HACK, but I generally like the solution and so
> it's acceptable for me to leave it there, as long as you fix my comment
> above.

It would be a great solution if there was not possibility of even the
smaller font overflowing. If this is nowhere the case, then it just
might be a good one.

While we are at it, how would you feel about re-releasing the English
data files as they contain many bugs, typos, some truncated strings
and strange English? I am not suggesting that the engine shouldn't
have to handle the "original" files well, but I think that a
re-release with just all the typos fixed would add tremendous value to
the game (also, I am implicitly volunteering to do this, if you
approve of it :-) ).

Thanks!

--
Denis Kasak