[Scummvm-devel] Lure of the Temptress uncompletable on 1.0.0

Rafał Rzepecki divided.mind at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:37:11 CEST 2009

2009/8/18 Thierry Crozat <thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk>:
> From: Rafał Rzepecki <divided.mind at gmail.com>
>
>> (Makes me wonder, how did those two playtests registered on wiki
>> passed? Is it a recent regression? A rare occurence?)
>
> I was wondering the same thing. I tried your save game and got the problem you
> describe. I definitelly passed that point when I played.Maybe I was lucky, or it
> is possible that the french version (the one I played) behaves differently from the
> english one.

If it's so, then perhaps the French version should be checked again in
case the fix (which works, BTW) broke something there. But I guess
Paul should first say if it's at all possible.

>> > As for the pathfinding, even though the pathfinding code is based on a clean
>> > reimplementation of a disassembly of the original game's code, as far as I'm
>> > aware they should be identical. One minor possibility is that I've never
>> > been 100% sure if the code for handling 'bumping' is 100% the same as the
>> > original - I suspect that the ScummVM version displays bump dialogues a bit
>> > more frequently than the original, but this shouldn't affect the actual
>> > movement of characters.
>>
>> Well, it might be the bumping, but in scummvm I feel much less
>> control. It's sometimes downright HARD to talk to a character, with
>> the protagonist walking around the screen for a minute and then giving
>> up, both he and NPC displaying the question mark, and then retrying
>> after the NPC moved a bit and again and only succeeding at the fourth
>> attempt.
>>
>> Granted, I only played the original version for so much time so it
>> could just be a chance impression, plus it doesn't make it unplayable;
>> but it's at times _very_ annoying and it's something you might want to
>> take a look at when you have some time.
>
> I have got the same (very frustating at times) experience. I never reported it
> because I never played the original and don't know if it was better or not.
> However when I played Lure this time with 1.0.0pre it seemed worse than
> what I remembered playing the game with 0.13.0. Coming back to that
> version convinced me that it was a false impression as it was as bad there
> than it is with 1.0.0pre. Maybe your impressions with the original version are
> likewise distorded.

That's entirely possible. I'll do a quick excursion to the original
and will come back with fresh impressions.
--
Rafał Rzepecki