[Scummvm-devel] Dragon History release questions

Robert Špalek rspalek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 22:05:13 CET 2009

hi Max,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> Am 03.12.2009 um 07:45 schrieb Robert Špalek:
>
>> sorry, but I haven't been able to write a new NEWS message yet.   I hope I
>> will get back to it soon, and surely it will be ready in the weekend.  I
>> will send it for a review and then submit it myself.
>>

> Ah yeah, I know how it is ... :)

I'm painfully aware of myself violating my own deadline.  it's just that I
know that I will have to be creative with text as opposed to just modifying
some files, which makes this task more demanding for my energy :))

> I have a question.  how do you determine how many percents does an engine
>> achieve in the compatibility table? Dragon History is complete, but I doubt
>> it should get 100% since nobody ever fully tested it except for me a couple
>> of times, and no other game gets 100%.  shall I put there some arbitrary
>> number like 80-90% and then slowly raise it once we are confident that it
>> works for people?
>>

> Sounds about right to me. As you observed correctly, we don't give anything
> 100%, based on the idea that 100% would mean being identical to the
> original, which we never are -- simply because we offer additional features
> ;)
>
> ok

> By the way, I tried playing Draci myself for the first time this weekend.
> Seems to run fine on my MacBook Pro. But even though I am not a native
> speaker, I noticed that the english is ... "peculiar" ;-). No offense
> intended!

I know, it is.  the English was not meant for release, but as an
intermediate text for the Polish translation.  it's readable enough to be
understandable, but contains a lot of typos, and generally doesn't read too
nicely.  I hope that since it's open-source, someone will fix it, and indeed
someone has already contacted me (although that was also the last step so
far).

I wonder whether you still have the "sources" for the game data files --
> maybe we could start a fan project to remake the english subtitles (and
> possible subtitles for other languages, maybe even additional languages?).
> Maybe some people even would want to work on a dubbing it ;).
>
> yes, YES!  I was hoping for that and I have actually already published a
note on that topic on the ScummVM engine page.

remake of the subtitles is very easy, because they are just normal text
files, about 40 of them.  1 per person means that it isn't even too long.
 anyone just send me an updated version and that's it.

dubbing is also easy, although time-demanding, because there is one file
with ~3K sentences to be dubbed.  it's therefore just a question of forming
a group of interested people, read the dialogs, and then anybody can cut the
sentences in a sound editor.

--
Robert Špalek <rspalek at gmail.com>