[Scummvm-devel] Updated Translation Patch

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Dec 9 16:06:21 CET 2009

Hi Alex,

in principle I think it's cool that you did this, and having the
ability to localize ScummVM would be nice (as long as it doesn't
hamper small ports by increasing the binary/data size a lot).

Unfortunately, it seems nobody in the team is sufficiently
interested / motivated to work on this. :/. I haven't even gotten
around to looking at your patch (which, as I see, you also submitted
to our patch tracker, great (see <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2903830&group_id=37116&atid=418822

Am 25.11.2009 um 14:13 schrieb Alex Bevilacqua:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I was looking into Jordi's message translation patch (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1739965&group_id=37116&atid=418822
> ) and how it hadn't been updated for a while. I'm not really a
> scummvm pro, so this isn't 100%, but it's functional in-so-far as
> compiling.
>
> I'm hoping someone can take it from here and actually get it
> working. I had a problem getting po2c running from the common/
> module.mk directly as part of the build process, but if you run it
> manually, it works.

Well, if you tell us which commands you need to run, and what the
problems were/are, we can try to find a solution.

> Basically, the scummvm.pot file can be created successfully, and you
> can generate localizations using msginit, but I haven't been able to
> actually utilize any of the .po files in the GUI (I updated the
> themes to include the necessary label/dropdown though so it's there
> for testing).

What exactly is the stumbling block here?

> Hopefully someone can finish this off, as I'm not sure when to dump
> the po files as part of installation so that the TranslationManager
> can pick up and enumerate them.

Where to place such files would indeed be port specific, just like
with other stuff. For some ports, you may have to convert those files
into .cpp files and link them into the program; on OS X, they would be
placed into the .app bundle and loaded this way; on others in the
DATA_DIR; etc.

A good way might be to let the translation manager use the
Common::Archive API. This way, it'll find the files for "most"
platforms. If a platform needs to link the translation files in, it
could generate a special Archive subclass which manages a fixed list
of built-in files.