[Scummvm-devel] FW: What is happening to the ScummVM team?

Filippos Karapetis philipk79 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:28:35 CET 2009

Forwarding this to -devel. Apologies, I sent it to Max only by mistake

From: philipk79 at hotmail.com
To: max at quendi.de
Subject: RE: [Scummvm-devel] What is happening to the ScummVM team?
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:27:46 +0000

> >> In the past, I very often tried to email scummvm-devel about
> >> something, to get feedback and help me decide how to do something.
> >> My experience is that usually this didn't work out at all, or if,
> >> then essentially with a tiny group (usually 1-3) of people actually
> >> talking.
> >
> > I remember some of those mails. But I think the small feedback is
> > not a reason to stop doing so. Especially when some of the then not
> > discussed changes would have more people interested for whatever
> > reason.
>
> Maybe, maybe not. I once was idealistic and wrote emails to scummvm-
> devel about almost every endeavor I planned. These days, I am rather
> disillusioned when it comes to that. So, while the small feedback
> might not be a reason to stop doing writing emails to scummvm-devels,
> I also ask myself what the reason is to continue writing them?

To be honest, not all people are familiar with the internals of the common
code. Some questions were aimed towards specific ports of ScummVM,
which not all people could answer. In such cases, I think that no answer
is better than a wrong answer, or something along the likes of "Nice
question, but I don't know how to answer it"

> >> I do think that we should talk about merge decisions etc. earlier
> >> on scummvm-devel -- out of politeness / courtesy, at the very
> >> least. Although I don't think this will actually change the way
> >> decisions are made much, because most people will stay silent, and
> >> we will not always end up with consensus decision either. But at
> >> least everybody can have the feeling of having been informed in due
> >> time.
> >
> > Maybe it would not change the decisions, but actually I think the
> > politeness / courtesy argument is rather strong here.

Agreed, at least the politeness / courtesy argument is quite strong here.
I personally don't have any objections against new engines, in fact I love
to see ScummVM grow and support new games, but at least it would be
great if small announcements are made about big new features or, more
importantly, new engines. It would also be nice to know which potential
engines will be added in the future.

Also, there are several engines in private repositories, which are in various
stages. What would be the best course of action concerning them? Add
them to the public repository in their current state? Or wait till they're
more mature? It wouldn't be nice to have cases like M4, igor or cruise all
over again :(

Regards
Filippos

Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.  See how it works.