[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM PS2 : news

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Tue Feb 17 07:09:43 CET 2009

Hi there ScummVM Team!

> It would be nice to know the ICEs and your workarounds, though, and
> have them in the repos (resp. work together to develop "clean"
> workaronds for them).

1. the hashmap / defaulVal MIL which we have to comment out on PS2

2. one reported for Mingw some time ago

3. couple more when I started porting PS2 ScummVM to 0.11.0
   which I will try to dig out from my notes (I am such a
   chaotic developer...)

The fact is that we should sell vintage PS2 gcc 3.2.2 on ebay,
and I should try to roll up a 3.4.6 where the changes should
be minimal. I am afraid (but feel free to prove me wrong) that
trying to integrate the PS2 mips backend on a gcc 4.x.y would
be a major re-work.

> >   - bogus drivers : eg. IRX, that force us to compensate
> >     their quirks inside ScummVM
>
> Can you workaround those in the backend, or does it require changes
> outside backends/

Yes, it's bypassed in backend/fs/ps2 on a per media base, but
we should dare and modify the IRX (drivers) so that they have
a more uniform behavior when you are trying to do dumb things
(eg. trying to handle a file as if it was a dir, etc.).

> I am not sure if this would help you, but be aware that you could
> use   > multiple subclasses of Ps2FilesystemNode, and also of the
> internal "StdioStream" class, one for each device type.

I will check that option too. Thanks!

> It seems a "test" engine becomes more and more appealing, then :-).

Is going to be my best friend. Together with a gdb for PS2 ;-)
(so that I don't have to do the backtrace by hand + printf)

Is it going to measure (beside the completability of a game)
the resources usage and performance?

That could come in handy: how fast can "test" finish the game?
how many resources were allocated during the show?

So that we can check against older releases, changes in trunk
and see if we have any regression.

> Thanks for your hard work,

Thanks for your patience guys.

Ciao,