[Scummvm-devel] ...to be or not to be?

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Sun Feb 22 06:48:18 CET 2009

Ciao Max,

thanks for your prompt replies!

> > I stay tuned for an optimized ontological solution ;-)
>
> I changed it on trunk (but not on the 0.13 branch, and that's
> intentional) to only require 2.

Great.

One question: why do we need to check it more than once anyway?

> As it is, our code relies on FSNode::exists() to be a fast
> operation. Is this a problem for your port?

It depends on the media: we have "stat" (it return bogus values
but they are consistent, so I was able to remap their meaning)
on mass: (USB) and pfs0: (HD). I did not benchmark them, but
the feeling when browsing the files is that things are faster
than with "open". On the other hand on CD and HOST (remote),
"stat" is a dummy. So we have to resort to "open" and do some
cabala to distinguish files from dirs, so not really fast.

I thought we were caching the nodes in the game data folder,
and just checking against the map thereafter. But maybe it
is just in my head ;-)

Talk soon,
 -max