[Scummvm-devel] ...to be or not to be?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Feb 22 21:57:56 CET 2009

Am 22.02.2009 um 12:04 schrieb sunmax at libero.it:

> Ciao Max,
>
>>> One question: why do we need to check it more than once anyway?
>>
>> Man, you are persistent, aren't you? :-)
>
> I am a Ockham seeking missile ;-)
>

>> I finally managed to get it down to 1
>
> Hey, I thought you were getting it down to 0! ;-)

Bah, I'll skip that and aim for -1 ;).

>> We are caching the nodes! But this doesn't help with your problem
>> here, because we only cache the nodes, not its attributes; doing
>> that is up to the Node implementation, i.e., the backend author.
>
> Do you mean that I am allowed to cache "exists", "isDir" after
> (of course) I checked them at least once?
>
> That's good news!

Sure it can do that. The only risk involved is that this state could
hypothetically change: The user could delete the file behind your
back. However, I would hope that this is not a real issue on PS2, PSP,
NDS, etc. (it is more of an issue on desktopsystems, where a user
really could do that with ease).

> Once we get the EOS madness and the new file cache-ahead
> in place for PS2, I am going to do that immediately ;-)

Good :)