[Scummvm-devel] Global Menu Options

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jan 11 14:18:51 CET 2009

Am 11.01.2009 um 06:10 schrieb Travis Howell:

[...]
> Max Horn wrote:
>> in my eyes the current GMM-OD (GMM options dialog ;) can only be a
>> temporary solution, as it suffers from various fundamental issues;
>>
>> 1) It provides settings which do not apply to all games, in this
>> form.
>> (Although if Simon doesn't support the "subtitles + speech" mode,
>> then
>> I'd expect the AGOS engine to automatically detect that setting and
>> revert it to an acceptable one -- is there any reason not to do so?)
>
> Because allowing a user to select options, that aren't possible (and
> silently reverted), will only lead to further confusion and
> complaints.

My point was not that we shouldn't fix the GUI (it should only offer
options that actually make full sense, agreed). But *rather* my point
was that the AGOS (or any other) engine should *of course* detect and
handle nonsense settings, instead of freaking out when they are used.
A simple "if subtitle mode is invalid then set subtitle mode to
default" check takes only a few lines, and at the same time protects
those users who meddle with their config file manually because
somebody in some forum told them that they should do so to enable the
subtitle+speech mode.

Input validation should always be done, and so should proper GUI
design, and neither can replace the other.

Bye,