[Scummvm-devel] Virtual keyboard code from GSoC 2008

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Jan 20 20:38:14 CET 2009

Hi folks,

after some recent efforts by dhweg, LordHoto and myself, the vkeybd &
key remapper code at least compiles again. More work is still needed,
though:

* Fix linker errors (I'll take a look)
* Fix key remapper dialog (it will crash right now, because not all of
it has been transitioned to the new system
* Decide what to do about the hotkeys F7 and F8 (just like the F6
hotkey for the GMM)
* Come up with new / better keyboard packs.

For the last point, we need something that is good to read; and
ideally, doesn't take up much resources. I just quickly whipped up an
example in Adobe Illustrator. The (incomplete) keyboard layouts I
include are based on an US keyboard. The Illustrator file I have is
very easy to edit, so it will be easy to add the shift/symbol variants
-- and if we want we could even easily include stuff like accented
characters and so on (assuming we can agree on an 8 bit encoding to
use everywhere... Hrm).
For the desktop, we could certainly use fancier keyboard maps,
matching the looks of our themes. The advantage of the attached ones
is that they compress really well, esp. the black and white version.
The fact that we only support uncompressed 24bit BMPs is actually
annoying here; as a bitmap BMP, it takes up only 5104 bytes, as 24bit
BMP it needs 40896 bytes.

It's also easy to modify the illustrator file to e.g. use "styled"
keys (e.g. with a color gradient), or putting a background under/
around the whole keyboard, etc. But until we have somebody with some
drawing talent coming around, I guess this is better than nothing.

Bye,