[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.13.0: Release status 2009-01-19 -- Branch

Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail) thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 11:22:42 CET 2009

 > Still we have one release critical bug, and overall list of nice
to get
 > fixed bugs did not shrink much...
 > #1977094: SWORD1: Subtitles missing (German version)

I had a look at this bug and found the problem: this sentence is
physically missing from the text cluster file for the German, French
and Spanish languages for both the Windows and Mac versions of
the game.

I don't know how the original executable behaves in such cases. My
guess is that it doesn't display the subtitle for missing sentences.

The BS1 engine in ScummVM catches this case properly, but then
displays an error string ("Error: Text not found") as the subtitle,
which
isn't exactly what the user would expect (I have no issue with
displaying
errors in the console, but there it is displayed directly in the game
as if
it was what George was saying).

Before posting a patch on the bug tracker I would like to get your views
on what the engine should do in such cases. I can see at least two ways
to fix that (and you may have better ideas):

1) Do not display subtitles for the missing sentences. There is only one
known missing sentence currently and the text is "Oh?" in english ("Eh?"
in Italian, "Quoi?" in French...). Not having the subtitle for such a
short
sentence doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

2) Hardcode in the engine the known missing sentences. But then what
should we do for the unknown ones? Display the error string as it does
now? Do not display subtitles?

What do you think?

Thierry