[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.14.0

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Jul 4 15:06:28 CEST 2009

Am 04.07.2009 um 14:09 schrieb Travis Howell:

> Max Horn wrote:
>> Am 04.07.2009 um 12:10 schrieb Travis Howell:
>>> Could the planned release cycle for ScummVM 0.14.0 be delayed a few
>>> weeks longer, in order to wait for merger of 16bit color support?
>>>
>>> 16bit color support will add a few more games (Freddi Fish 5, Pajama
>>> Sam: Games to Play on Any Day, Spy Fox 3), and is planned to be
>>> merged
>>> into trunk in the near future.
>> It is ???
>> I would have thought that it won't be merged before the end of
>> GSoC,  i.e. *soonest*till August 10, probably later. At that point
>> we'll have  very little testing.
> > So, if we wait for that, we need to delay by at least 2 months.
>
> A release cycle is due to start soon, with the branch added not long
> (1 week) after the release cycle starts.
>
> It was mentioned on IRC, to merge 16bit color support, as soon as
> ScummVM was branched for the next release.

I think I made my stance on the value of decisions about major API
changes on IRC clear enough in the past, so I won't repeat it.

Anyway, if Eugene and Jody are confident about it, we can discuss
*here* about merging the 16 bit API now. But I think it's better to
first develop it some further in its branch, and finalize 16bit
support in at least 2-3 engines in the branch, to make sure the API is
at least in principle usable. I'd also like to know how well 16bit
support interacts with the GUI, etc.

Once again, I don't like doing a rush job of this. Either do 0.14.0
now, without 16bit support. Or wait till a merge is sensible, then
wait at least 1-2 months *after that*, and then make 0.14.0.

Bye,