[Scummvm-devel] PORTERS: OSystem::setWindowCaption

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Mon Jul 6 22:46:14 CEST 2009

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

> Just as a note to all porters: I changed OSystem::setWindowCaption to
> accept LATIN-1 input some time ago. Porters may wish to check whether
> they porter can cope with that (I already adjusted some, but I am not
> sure about the DC and PalmOS ports).

To summarize what I said previously about this; on the DC the caption
is used as metadata for the savegames.  If the user examines the
savegames from the builtin DC menu, LATIN-1 strings will look ok as
long as they did not select Japanese as menu language.  If they _have_
selected Japanese, the strings will be rendered as SJIS instead, which
will look like crap.  But this is the same situation as with
commercial DC titles; EU and US games assume that the strings are
rendered as LATIN-1, and JP games assume that they are rendered as
SJIS.  If you have savegames from both JP and EU/US games, you'll get
crappy rendering for some regardless of what menu langauge you
choose.  :-P

So for the DC, no action is the probably best action.  Just keep the
LATIN-1 coming.  :-)

  // Marcus