[Scummvm-devel] Fw: SCI: SQ4 Talkie DoSound

M. Kiewitz m_kiewitz at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 8 08:18:58 CEST 2009

> Actually I went the other way. If no sound resource is found, try to look for an audio resource.
>We should first check for an audio (i.e. digitized sfx) resource and then
>for a sound (i.e. synthesized
>sfx) resource. This part of the code is used to play sound effects, and
>SCI1.1 games have two sets
>of sound effects: one for users with Soundblaster-compatible sound cards,
>and one for users with
>sound cards that can't play digital sound effects. We should prefer
>digital sfx over their synthesized
>counterparts, hence the order that Walter proposed. This is easy to check
>when starting KQ6, just
>try to move the plank on the beach.

If the resources match, then that's fine. On SQ4 at least the audio resources that I checked never had sound counterparts.

>> Still this would require a new iterator as well. So doing one that is
>>just taking milliseconds as
>> input and then fires the event when its done?
>Er... no? Why would it require a new iterator? Right now, the sound
>effect is played, and the sound
>effect duration is returned to the game scripts. What would a new
>iterator offer? I'm a bit confused
>about the design you're proposing here...

That's enough for the scripts? Well then it's fine. I'm not really familiar with the SCI engine, I noticed that doing SI_FINISHED (also) let the script continue.

>> There's now a patch.
>Where can this patch be found?

I actually meant your "patch" ;-)

>Regards