[Scummvm-devel] [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm:[42257] scummvm/trunk/graphics

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jul 8 19:38:08 CEST 2009

Am 08.07.2009 um 19:28 schrieb Filippos Karapetis:

[...]

> 2) Add common includes for all engines, thereby greatly simplifying
> the engine project files, and having everything
> neatly packed in one common file for all MSVC project files. This
> solves not only this problem, but many others too,
> as all compilation options are in one file and not scattered among
> different ones - this actually makes MSVC
> compilation options a bit more similar to the GCC ones (i.e. they're
> all in one place). This solution has been implemented
> by nolange in the following rejected patch:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2774908&group_id=37116&atid=418822
> The main problem with this solution is that it's only supported in
> MSVC8 and later (as described in the patch tracker
> item), so we'll have to drop MSVC7 and MSVC7.1 - unless we move to
> some better system than the batch files I've
> made right now, i.e. cmake or similar

As I stated before, it should be possible to write a perl/python/
whatever script which takes our module.mk files and some extra bits,
and auto-generates all the vcproj files for all MSVC versions from it.
Of course, "somebody" would have to code it.
Actually, it might be easier not to use the module.mk files but rather
simply use all *.cpp and *.h files found in each engines/ subdir, and
just hardcode the mapping (inside the new tool) of directories
(graphics, engines/FOO, sound, gui, ...) to subprojects and likewise
hardcode the settings for each subproject (i.e. optimization settings,
ENABLE_FOO flags, etc.).

This is a relatively easy task, I think -- you don't even need to have
Windows for it, as the MSVC files are XML and generating them should
be really easy. It wouldn't be very exciting easy, but would neatly
solve the problem of outdated MSVC files once and for all ;).

> Personally, I vote for the second solution: it would be better to
> drop support for older/strange compilers rather than
> keeping compile options and defines scattered and duplicated in
> several files. Also, not a lot of users use MSVC7 and
> MSVC7.1 (I only know of 1, Quietusk).

It would still be nice to get a slightly better idea on how many
people out there are using MSVC 7 and why, and how bad dropping MSVC 7
support would affect those.