[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 1.0.0 release schedule

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Jul 13 20:55:55 CEST 2009

Hi folks, Eugene,

I'll try to properly reply to the 70+ emails that accumulated on this
list while I was gone over the weekend...

But I want to stress one point: In my eyes "we" have *not* decided
that the next release definitely is 1.0.0. Eugene, sorry, but I think
that was miscommunication. I just said: "Hey, maybe we should think
about making this or one of the next releases 1.0.0, regardless of the
manual, as it seems that just will never come.".

I expected this idea to be at least announced, better discussed,
*before* a final decision was made. In the end, I still think Eugene
and me should make the call (at least as long as we have the trust of
the majority of all active ScummVM devs) -- strong leadership is one
of the main reasons ScummVM got where it is, if we always tried to
reach consensus or waited for everybody to comment,  we would never
have gotten anywhere.  Nevertheless, I believe in at least giving
everybody a chance to object or agree or simply make suggestions for
improvements. Only after taking all this into account should the final
decisions be made -- still by the team leads, but addressing all
concerns etc. as much as possible.

That said, I still think a 1.0.0 release soon makes sense. I also
agree with some of the points Kirben raised, and disagree with others.
I just feel this is yet another case of undue rushing -- I think it
would have been only fair to discuss a major thing like going 1.0.0
for, say, a week. And maybe not over a weekend where I wasn't even
with Internet access ;).

BTW, I'll be with limited Internet from July 16 till July 22, and
would appreciate if we don't e.g. change the name of the project over
that weekend ;).

Bye,