[Scummvm-devel] 1.0 or not 1.0? (was: ScummVM 1.0.0 release schedule)

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 14 05:24:08 CEST 2009

Max Horn wrote:
> Some people here have listed features that they believe should be in
> 1.0.0, that we should wait for before going there. I strongly disagree
> with every single one! We can *always* find one more thing to add. In
> fact, this is why so many projects and commercial applications run
> over their schedule: There is always one more thing that would be so
> cool and so easy to add. Well, yes, but somewhere you have to make a
> cut. You shouldn't cut on usability, of course. I am talking about
> *features* here. And of those we have enough, and had enough for long.
> To me, the best possible user experience was always the only reason
> not to go to 1.0.0 yet. We will try to address that by working on
> docs, by improving our release process, by improving quality
> assurance. But adding features (or waiting for feature to mature
> enough to be ready for inclusion) is exactly what we should *not* do
> at all.

Then another reason, as mentioned in my other recent message:
Daily snapshots of ScummVM SVN have been limited to only a few platforms
in the past though, which meant many ports didn't get as much testing
over a longer period of time. With buildbot that has expanded to cover
many more platforms (with Dreamcast just added), so we definitely could
  benefit from a longer time period before ScummVM 1.0. In order to give
other platforms are much more thorough testing, over the time (several
months) between this release cycle, and the next release of ScummVM.

> Support for more games, virtual keyboard and key remapper working
> everywhere, MI Amiga music support, 16bit game support -- all cool
> features. All worth working for. For version 1.1, 1.2, 1.5, 2.0,
> whatever. Not for 1.0.

Expect this isn't just waiting for 'feature X' or 'game Y', as I
previously mentioned in other message. Of the items I have previously
mentioned, only u32 code for HE games will take awhile to complete, but
no more longer than the next release (after this one).

16bit color support and sound support for the Amiga version of the
Secret of Monkey Island are available now, but only in separate
branches. The animation patch for Apple/C64 versions of Maniac Mansion
is currently available on the patch tracker too.

The GUI support for tools is still in progress, but with a set timeline
(10 August for end of GSoC). Which is less than a month away now, which
is more than enough time, to include in next release (after this one).

In my case, I'm only asking for one more beta release, before we finally
go to ScummVM 1.0.