[Scummvm-devel] Bring testers to the team?

Walter van Niftrik walter at vanniftrik-it.nl
Tue Jul 14 15:35:24 CEST 2009

Travis Howell wrote:

> Unsupported games (ie SCI games) are a different issue, as we currently
> don't accept bug reports until games are officially supported. In the
> case of SCI games, it might be worth adding sticking topic on forums,
> for people to mention regressions noticed, until we accept bug reports
> for SCI games.

Well, the point is that a lot of work in this area could be done by
people without programming skills. And instead of taking a passive
approach like waiting for reports to come in, we could have people on
the team that are actively monitoring stability and compatibility. These
people could do testing with the event recorder, monitor user input on
the forums and in bug reports. They could also help us track down the
exact revision for regressions, etc. I think this could increase the
quality of the software and at the same time lighten the burden on our
developers so that they can spend more time developing.

Maybe we can't find any people willing to help out, but I think it's
worth a shot...

> It already it possible to join the ScummVM project, to help with many
> non-programming tasks.

It is? Is this mentioned anywhere? I'm not talking about people getting
wiki accounts, I'm talking about full team members.

Regards,

Walter