[Scummvm-devel] Bring testers to the team?

Walter van Niftrik walter at vanniftrik-it.nl
Wed Jul 15 11:51:09 CEST 2009

Travis Howell wrote:
> It sounds like you don't know exactly what you do want. If you want
> feedback on the SCI game engine, they provide a means for users to
> reports problems.

What's 'they'? Forums topics? As I said before I prefer a more active
approach instead of sitting back and waiting for reports to come in (if
any).

> Monitoring stability and compatibility? the event recorder still isn't
> complete, so that means manual play testing of games at this point.

At this point yes. But at this point we also don't have any testers in
the team yet. We could wait until the event recorder is completed.

> Even tracking down regressions would at least require more technical
> knowledge too. At least how to use SVN (to check out code), compile
> source code

I think most people should be able to handle this.

> Someone with some
> knowledge about programming, would usually be required to track down the
> exact code segment causing the regression.

If we're tracking down a regression that occurred somewhere in the past
5 months, finding the exact revision is most of the work. Doing this
requires no programming skill.

Regards,

Walter