[Scummvm-devel] Bring testers to the team?

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 15 12:14:01 CEST 2009

Walter van Niftrik wrote:
> Travis Howell wrote:
>> It sounds like you don't know exactly what you do want. If you want
>> feedback on the SCI game engine, they provide a means for users to
>> reports problems.
>
> What's 'they'? Forums topics? As I said before I prefer a more active
> approach instead of sitting back and waiting for reports to come in (if
> any).

That was actually a typo, it should have been 'then provide a means for
users to reports problems.'

At this stage the SCI engine is unsupported, and stated as still too
early to be enabled (in last ScummVM 0.14.0 discussion), so we aren't
accepting bug reports.

If you want better tracking of regressions in SCI game engine in the
meantime, then offer users a way to report them. Otherwise you
definitely won't be getting any reports coming in.

>> Even tracking down regressions would at least require more technical
>> knowledge too. At least how to use SVN (to check out code), compile
>> source code
>
> I think most people should be able to handle this.

No, you are far overestimating the abilities of the average user.

>> Someone with some
>> knowledge about programming, would usually be required to track down the
>> exact code segment causing the regression.
>
> If we're tracking down a regression that occurred somewhere in the past
> 5 months, finding the exact revision is most of the work. Doing this
> requires no programming skill.

Regressions rarely go that far back, and it isn't always clear whether
issues are actually regressions either. Personally I don't find tracking
down regressions that time consuming, if only compiling a single game
engine, and jumping between time periods.