[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM size (was: Re: ScummVM 1.0.0: Release status 2009-07-21)

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon Jul 27 11:57:54 CEST 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:44:06 +0000
Lars Persson <larspp at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> Just made a test build, and it built ok (using the branch-1.0.0). As
> usual bigger than ever. Also better I hope. :-D
Which made me think over again. We really have to hammer this out and
start implementing.

We need:

  1. Decouple detection code from engines
  2. Put this code to "core build"
  3. Have native ability to build several "specific builds" with
     support of restricted number of engines.
  3a. Each such build has to have the "core build" facilities, i.e.
     ability to detect any game.
  4. Besides plugins it could make sense if our core system could
     launch specific builds seamlessly.

That is, there will be 2 paths:
  a. Engine plugins for those platforms which support it
  b. Binaries which will be loaded on top of existing one (i.e. POSIX
     call exec().

Any thoughts?

Eugene