[Scummvm-devel] Switching from SVN to git, mercurial or bazaar

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jun 7 23:23:27 CEST 2009

Am 07.06.2009 um 22:57 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:15:19 +0300
> Eugene Sandulenko <sev at scummvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I am all for this switch, but as usual we should do a lot of
>> preparations.
> Couple things were mentioned by aquadran:
>
> 1) SF.net offers only one Git repo per project. We have 11 projects
> now.

That's an excellent question. Let's try to find out. I'll file a
request with them for clarification.

Note #1: We don't strictly need SF.net for this. We could just as well
use github for the "master repository". Or something equivalent for
mercurial (freehg?), bazaar (launchpad?).

Note #2: There are not really projects, but submodules... and some of
them could actually easily reside in a single one (like all the web
related stuff). But even considering that, we'd still have at least
half a dozen or so, I guess (scummvm+tool(+engine-data?); web+forums
+buildbot+web-planet; media; docs; *maybe* scummex, vendor, though we
could kill those)

> 2) How git handles line endings?

To quote <http://git-scm.org/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion>:

"Whilst Git versions prior 1.5.1 never convert files and always assume
that every file is opaque and should not be modified. Git 1.5.1 and
onwards make this configurable. For users on Windows they should set
core.autocrlf = true so that text files are automatically checked out
with CRLF and checked in as LF. Git's advantage over Subversion is
that you do not have to manually specify which files this conversion
should be applied to, it happens automatically (hence autocrlf)."

Bye,