[Scummvm-devel] Switching from SVN to git, mercurial or bazaar

Paul Gilbert paulfgilbert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:11:01 CEST 2009

Man, I go offline for the weekend to play some Star Ocean, and it feels like
I've missed a whole year's worth of discussions. :P

My two cents on the subject is that, laugh at me if you will, but I do
prefer the combination of TortoiseSVN and Microsoft Visual Studio for my
ScummVM development. Therefore, if we do switch to another repository
system, I'd prefer one that has Windows shell integration like
TortoiseSVN/CVS have. I generally like to double-check what I'm commiting
before I commit, so the shell integration with TortoiseSVN is good, since I
can see in a window which files are modified, and then right-click and 'show
changes' to quickly see a visual diff of what the changes are.

I'm not really familiar with any of the systems being discussed, so I can't
debate their pros and cons. I understand that there may be advantages to
moving (such as multiple offline commits), but I don't see any major issues
with the current SVN repository that means we need to rush into changing
systems. At least not until whichever system we choose has decent Windows
shell integration. :)

Paul.