[Scummvm-devel] Bitdepth/pixel format API concerns

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Jun 11 21:26:23 CEST 2009

Am 11.06.2009 um 20:36 schrieb Torbjörn Andersson:

> Max Horn wrote:
>
>> Let the engine use its native format, let the backend worry about
>> translating that to whatever native format it has.
>
> By "backend", do you mean the ones in backends/platform, or a new
> hypothetical one that sits between the engine and the platform
> backend?

The backend in the classical end. No intermediate layer. Though of
course we can provide a generic method which converts/blits from a
surface in one format to another on in a different format. For the SDL
backend, that won't be necessary, though; and I guess many of the
lower speed backends couldn't use it, either, so I am not sure whether
it would be too helpful. But we certainly could very easily add such a
thing.

> Sorry if that question has already been answered. I've been too busy
> pay much attention to the ScummVM mails, and there have been an
> unusual
> number of them lately.

No worries.

Bye,