[Scummvm-devel] Bitdepth/pixel format API concerns

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 17:33:54 CEST 2009

Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:15:22 +0000 (GMT)
> Bertrand Augereau <bertrand_augereau at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>

>> Different GPUs have different framebuffers format, and moreover
>> graphic hardware endianness is not always the CPU endianness (ie
>> XBox360 vs PS3).
>>
> But should engines bother about that?

I guess only in the case these platforms would have too limited
performace otherwise. So if the engine is able to convert all data on
the first load to the native format, it would be better than doing a
conversion every copyRectToScreen call. Of course if the backend is able
to do that conversion without any real performance loss it should be by
the backend.

That's anway why I agree that the backend should take cover of any
format the engine requests in the first place.

Thus I agree with Max' proposal:

1) Let the backend worry about conversion.
2) If an engine expires too much performance loss on an specific
backend, try to optimize the engine with format conversion on load if
possible.

// Johannes