[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.13.0 has been released. 0.13.1 plans

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Mar 1 17:09:38 CET 2009

Hi,

quick reply:
* I think trying the RC system out is worth a try. Many projects use
that, including e.g. the Linux kernel. Why not us. If you dislike the
RC term, then let's call it prerelease build or something. But still,
a coordinate effort to make binary built from more or less the same
source revision available to people would help. Esp. the fact that the
prerelease builds would be made from the same revision, because that
way it would be clearer which bug fixes are already in each build and
which not. If we can't coordinate building from the same rev, then at
least each build should contain the SVn rev it was made from.

* Besides implementing all that automated testing, we need a build
server. This server could serve two purposes:
  - creating daily builds for many systems (optionally from trunk or
release branch, or even both!)
  - running the test suites for as many systems as possible.
  I think this will help us tremendously. At some point I set up a
buildbot on my system to build intel & ppc OSX builds. But I never
finished my work, and we still have no server. But we do have
sufficient GSoC money to rent a good server now, we could even afford
$100/month for some time (indefinite if we can participate in GSoC
every year *ggg*).

* IMO one big mistake many of our porters make is that they are too
shy about releasing their code, and tend to make huge blob commits
near the end (or even after!) our release cycle. That's a bad, bad,
bad development model. And IMO it causes the big development slow down
for PalmOS, NDS, PS2, and some others. Guys, if you worked on making
your builds runnable (mind you, just runnable, not even bug free or
well-tested) near the beginning of the release cycle (or ideally even
more often, but I know how limited time is :-), then that would enable
others to help you. In particular, it enables automated and human
testing against more prerelease builds you make (or that our automated
server makes!!! even less work for at least NDS, PS2, WinCE, DC,
Linux, Windows(?), ...). It would also open up the possibility for
other *developers* to join your effort. It's much easier to work on
tiny bits of a part and then grow into working on bigger chunks if one
can start with a working foundation. But of course, also bug fixers
might be attracted.

Bye,