[Scummvm-devel] New developer, introductory mail

Fabio Battaglia hkzlabnet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 17:28:51 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 10:57 -0500, Max Horn wrote:

> Please *only* do that if you really, really can take advantage of them
> in other games. This holds fore everybody: Do not proactively move
> stuff to common, graphics, sound etc. unless you are sure it will be
> of use for multiple engines.
Yup, i think i understand perfectly what you mean. In fact i wasn't
thinking of moving them until it is needed by other engines (and even in
this case, i would probably need to change something in vag.cpp/.h as
broken sword uses a version of VAG with missing/different headers, so no
sense in moving them the way they are now).

> Please understand that I do not want to burden you unfairly with work
> that for some reason others before you didn't have to perform --
> rather, it was a mistake, IMHO, not to ask for that in the case of
> other decoders :-(.

No problem for me, avoid pollution in common is perfectly sensed :)

> Another possibility (orthogonal to the above) : Add a big #ifdef
> ENABLE_PSX_GAMES / #endif pair. That way, ports with limited memory
> can disable support for these obscure game variants, in order to
> conserve precious space.
Right, in fact the simple support of psx version of broken sword alone
adds much code by itself. I can start adding ifdef like that to after i
finished optimizing some of my code (which really needs to avoid doing
useless things, like decoding the whole parallax layer when only some
tiles are shown on screen, etc.)

Bye,
Fabio

--